Monday Motivation: Support Yourself
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” –Zig Zigler
Today is Monday and it is the start of a brand new week. Today you have another chance to quit smoking and live a healthier lifestyle. Every day you can make small lifestyle changes that may help you resist the urge to light up. Achieving goals is not a matter of having discipline, but rather a matter of motivating yourself, and keeping your focus on your goal. Follow these tips, or any combination of them that works for you and you should have the motivation and focus you need to stay smoke-free.
- Chart Your Progress– Whether you decide to use gold stars or check off the boxes, develop a chart to monitor your progress. Creating a smoke-free log allows to see how far you’ve come every day. Eventually your chart will be filled with gold stars and you’ll be surprised at how many days you’ve been smoke free.
- Post a Picture of your goal– You can make a vision board to display in your bedroom or have a small picture at work on your desk. Every day you’ll have a chance to see where you want to be and that will motivate you to continue to work hard.
- Give It Time, Be Patient– Quitting cold turkey doesn’t work for everybody, so be patient with yourself. Deciding to quit smoking is a process and takes time. Make a plan to quit smoking, and if you slip, don’t punish yourself. Instead, acknowledge your mistake and take steps the next day to get back on track.
- Become aware of your urges to quit, and be prepared for them– One of the most powerful things you can do is to start being more conscious of your urges. A good exercise is to go through the day with a little piece of paper and put a tally mark for each time you get an urge. This makes you aware of your urges. Develop a plan for when those urges hit, and plan for it beforehand.
- Always think positive- Keep your thoughts positive and give yourself pep talks throughout the day. Encourage yourself to stay smoke free and when you hear negative thoughts, stop them, push them out, and replace them with positive thoughts. Positive thinking can be tremendously powerful