It may not be easy to quit, but it helps to have support along the way. Below are some ways to help you succeed in your decision to breathe smoke-free.
Ready to Quit Now?
Call 1-866-NEW-LUNG for free services to help you quit.
Every Try Counts
Every try counts in your journey to become smoke-free. Try this text message program from SmokeFree.gov to build the skills and confidence you need to stop smoking. You’ll receive texts with tips and encouragement to keep you on track. You haven’t failed as long as you keep trying.Text Message Programs
Top Ten Tips to Help You Quit
Quitting can be tough. Breaking it down into smaller parts can make it easier to reach your goal. Counselors from the California Smokers’ Helpline share their top 10 tips to help you quit for good. Download and print these tips to help you put your plan into action.Top 10 Tips
If you are pregnant, it is important to quit in order to keep your baby healthy. Smokefree MOM is a mobile text messaging program that provides 24/7 tips, advice, and encouragement to help pregnant women quit smoking. If you would like to learn more about Smokefree MOM take a look at the information below.Smokefree MOM
SmokefreeTXT is a mobile text messaging service designed for adults and young adults across the United States who are trying to quit smoking. The program was created to provide 24/7 encouragement, advice, and tips to help smokers quit smoking and stay quit.
If you would like to sign up, Click Here SmokefreeTXT
1. Set a quit date. Within two weeks from now, choose a week day less stressful, and mark your calendar – i.e., anniversary date to remember for years to come.
2. Keep a smoking diary. Write down why and when you smoke, as well as what you are feeling every time you light up.
3. Practice the 4 D’s- Delay the urge to smoke by deep breathing, drinking water, doing something else. Most urges last three to five minutes.
4. Place cigarettes in a difficult place, like in the garage or on top of your refrigerator.
5. Smoke with the opposite hand, which will make it awkward to smoke again.
6. Switch to a brand you don’t like.
7. Cut down the number of cigarettes you smoke each day.
8. Get rid of all your lighters and other items that make smoking easier.