Many teens see smoking hookah, as a way to relax, catch up with friends, and smoke fruity flavored vapors under cool room lighting, but did you know hookah is an unsafe trend for teens and just as harmful as smoking cigarettes? In recent times, smoking hookah has become a trendy activity for teenagers and young adults. Hookah bars offer laid back settings, where groups of friends can hang out and socialize, while menus of tobacco flavors are promoted, ranging from bubble gum to watermelon. As a parent, it’s important to be honest about new trends that may be harmful to your teen. Consider having an open and honest conversation with your child about the harmful effects of tobacco products. Take a look below to learn why hookah is unsafe for your son or daughter.
Like cigarettes, hookah pipes are filled with specially made tobacco, mostly flavored, that is inhaled through water pipes. Hookah also known as shisha, has become a favorite pastime, mostly for teenagers and young adults. Although water pipes are one way to smoke hookah, they’re not the only way. Hookah pens which closely resemble e-cigarettes are cheaply sold at most convenience stores. These pens are filled with e-juice, which is a mixture of the chemicals propylene glycol, glycerin, flavoring, and water. Be aware these items come in pretty cool designs and colors and the e-juice flavorings can sound appetizing. After all, it can be really hard to resist mocha latte or tropical passion flavored products.
Now that you know the basics, here’s a few reasons why smoking hookah isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Take a look below to learn why hookah is unsafe for your son or daughter. The charcoal used to heat the hookah pipe produce smoke that contains high levels of carbon monoxide, metals, and other cancer causing chemicals.
- Smoking tobacco can cause cancer, heart disease, and a whole host of other serious health problems.
- Smoking hookah for one hour can involve 200 puffs. The average cigarette is 20 puffs. You do the math.
- Although the tobacco is fruit flavored, this doesn’t add to your daily recommendation of fruits or veggies.
- Smoking hookah can be just as addictive as smoking cigarettes because of the nicotine.
- By the way, sharing a hookah pipe with a friend may just be unsanitary. “Hookah pipes used in hookah bars and cafes may not be cleaned properly, risking the spread of infectious diseases” (Mayo Clinic).